- Gendering the Settler State: White Women, Race, Liberalism and Empire in Rhodesia, 1950-1980 (New York: Routledge, 2016).
Articles/Chapters in Edited Collections
- ‘“Mostly we are White and Alone”: Identity, Anxiety and the Past in some White Zimbabwean Memoirs’, Journal of Historical Sociology, Volume 29 Number 3 (2016), pp. 297-318.
- ‘From Settlers to Strays: White Zimbabwean Women, Historical Memory and Belonging in the Diaspora c.1980-2010‘, Women’s History Review, Volume 25 Number 4 (2016), pp. 551-562.
- Review Essay: ‘Ohio’s Short Histories: Encounters of the Past in the Present’ Journal of African History, Volume 55 Number 3 (2014), pp. 516-521.
- (with Huibré Lombard): ‘Afrikanerdom, Archives and Change: The Archive for Contemporary Affairs at the University of the Free State, South Africa‘, Itinerario Volume 38, Issue 2 (2014), pp. 19-26.
- ‘Influence in British Colonial Africa’ (with Ashley Jackson) in C. Tuck (ed.), British Propaganda and Wars of Empire: Influencing Friend and Foe 1900-2010 (Ashgate 2014), pp. 97-122.
- Review Essay: ‘Plundering the Past: History and Nation in Mugabe’s Zimbabwe’, Journal of Southern African Studies, Volume 40 Issue 1 (2014), pp. 217-227.
- Review Essay: ‘Business as Usual? Politics, Hegemony and Elite Manoeuvrings in Zimbabwe since the signing of the Global Political Agreement’, International Journal of African Historical Studies, Volume 46 Issue 3 (2013), pp. 443-450.
- ‘“Even a labourer is worthy of his hire: how much more a wife?” Gender and the Contested Nature of Domesticity in Colonial Zimbabwe, c.1945-1978’, South African Historical Journal 63 (2011), pp. 456-474.
- ‘‘‘Making Marmalade and Imperial Mentalities”: The Case of a Colonial Wife’, African Research and Documentation112 (2010), pp. 19-27.
- ‘Liberal Women in Rhodesia: A Report on the Mitchell Papers’, History in Africa, A Journal of Method 37 (2010), pp. 389-398.
- ‘“The Wild West World of BEE”, Black Economic Empowerment Reviewed’, Safundi, The Journal of South African and American Studies 11 (2010), pp. 313-323.
- ‘Episodes of Ambiguity: Socialism in Zimbabwe, 1980-1985’, Australasian Review of African Studies 30 (2009), pp. 49-63.
- A review of Julia Tischler, Light and Power for a Multiracial Nation: The Kariba Dam Scheme in the Central African Federation, African Affairs Volume 113, 2014, pp. 474-475.
- ‘Revisiting a Political Life’ A review of Writing Revolt By Terence Ranger, The Journal of African History / Volume 55 / issue 02 / July 2014, pp. 287-288.
- A review of Shereen Essof, Shemurenga: The Zimbabwe Women’s Movement 1995-2000, International Feminist Journal of Politics Volume 16, isssue 1, 2014, pp. 166-168.
- A review of Alexandra Fuller, Mandy Retzlaff and Amanda Parkyn, Journal of Postcolonial Writing Volume 50, issue 3, 2014, pp. 374-377.
- A review of Carl Peter Watts, Rhodesia’s Unilateral Declaration of Independence, An International History, Journal of Imperial and Commonwealth History Volume 41, Issue 3 pp. 530-533 (2013).
- A review of Eleanor O’Gorman, The Front Line Runs Through Every Woman: Women & Local Resistance in the Zimbabwean Liberation Struggle, Leeds African Studies Bulletin (2013) pp. 93-95.
- A review of Rory Pilossof, The Unbearable Whiteness of Being Farmers’ Voices From Zimbabwe, Journal of Southern African Studies 39, vol 1 (2013) pp. 235-236.
- ‘The White Rhodesians: Settlers, or Expatriates?’ A review of Robert Bickers (ed.) Settlers and Expatriates: Britons over the Seas, Oxford History of the British Empire Companion Series and Josiah Brownell, The Collapse of Rhodesia, Population Demographics and the Politics of Race, Journal of Southern African Studies 37, vol 2 (2011) pp. 389-392.
- ‘From White Rhodesians to ‘Euro-Zimbabweans’ A review of David McDermott-Hughes, Whiteness in Zimbabwe, Race, Landscape and the Problem of Belonging, Journal of Southern African Studies 37, vol 1 (2011) pp.194-195.
- A review of Derek R. Peterson and Giacomo Macola (eds), Recasting the Past: History Writing and Political Work in Modern Africa Political Studies Review April, 2011 pp. 292-293.
- A review of Steven L. Robins, From Revolution to Rights in South Africa: Social Movements NGOs & Popular Politics After Apartheid Political Studies Review April2011 pp. 293-294.
- “Alexandra Fuller“. The Literary Encyclopedia. First published 10 December 2013.
- ‘The PhD Saga: (Dr) Grace Mugabe and the Battle for Zanu-PF’ blog post written for ‘History Matters’, October 2014.
- ‘The Trial of Oscar Pistorius and Gender-Based Violence in South Africa’ blog post written for ‘History Matters’, October 2014.